Saturday, July 3, 2010

Enna Burning (audio) - Shannon Hale



(I know, the cover is awful!)


You know how with a movie title like "Snakes on a Plane" you pretty much know what you are in for, right? Snakes on a Plane.
Well, Enna Burning is the same way. There's Enna and she's burning.


Burn Enna Burn, Disco Ennaferno (who isn't too young to get my song reference?)

So yeah, Spoiler Alert: Enna Burns

I listened to it on audio and it was the same full cast recording as with The Goose Girl. But even they couldn't salvage it. I bet the narrator NEVER wants to say the word 'burn' again.

The audio was 7 or 8 parts. The first 5 parts went a little something like this:

Heat, fire, burn, burning burned, fire, burn, heat, burning, fire, fire, heat, heat, heat, tendrils of heat, fire, burning, burned, burn, burn, burn burn fire burn heat. Fire. Burn.

Burn.

Sizzle.

Then it was sort of good for a little bit, and then it went a little something like this:

I love you Enna
No, I love YOU Izzy
No I love YOU Enna
No I love YOU Izzy
No I love... etc.

then a little

My power sucks, Izzy
No, MY power sucks Enna
No my power ....

REALLY SPOILER NOW sort of (of The Goose Girl)

What was missing from this story was the build up. In Goose Girl, there was an actual building toward something. We didn't know about the gift right from the start, we learned it gradually over the course of the story and it was suspensful and exciting. Same with the romance, you knew what was going to happen, but you didn't know know, like you knew in this book. Enna got her fire on page 2, (I'm exaggerating, but not by much) and the rest of the book was her sending her spidey sense out to feel the heat so she could burn something. And, ohhhhh, she liked to burn. Crackle. Heat. Fire. Burn.

ENDING THE SORT OF SPOILER

So yeah ... Not good, but I didn't hate it. Won't be moving on with the series though.

2 1/2 crackling logs out of 5

No comments: